Thursday, 1 March 2012

Finished Trug and Arbour

Finished Trug and Arbour.

You remember my recent post about 'these Trugs'?
Well I finally managed to give it it's finishing touch.
Originally I wanted to wrap some coloured rope around those ends to prevent the pole slipping through the hole and then wrap some more rope round the handle where you would pick it up. But me being me I couldn't find some rope I liked and I'm too tight to buy some so I came up with this idea instead.



I actually quite like the sticky out handles but couldn't come up with a suitable way to stop them coming out everytime I picked the trug up - not much use is it!
So I cut the handle down to the exact width of the trug and then cut some hearts out of MDF with my jigsaw and then wood glued them on.
THEN I had a brainwave!! Yup, yup yup, doesn't happen often but when it does............

I wanted to cut out some hearts from the front of the trug but how to get a nice heart that looks symmetrical?
Could use the Jigsaw but even the MDF hearts are not perfect so I'd have no hope with this thicker stuff - plus it's too fiddly.
So I used this:



I hear ya! You're huhing aren't you?
Well that lovely red device on my darling Dewalt drill does this for me


Getting it now aren't ya!
Aren't you???????????

Well those 3 little circles have formed a heart.....kind of. Now all I have to do is use my Jigsaw to cut along those pencil lines and I have a heart...



Cute aren't they! and such a lovely finishing touch!
Now all it needs is some paint



All done! Now I need to make more cos this one is destined for the craft room.

                         ******************************************************

Now I thought I'd share my Scrap wood Arbour with y'all.
I made this a couple of years ago so no photos as it progresses I'm afraid, just the finished look.

All the wood is spare stuff (I use that term loosely) that I pilfered salvaged pinched from my husbands wood stash - too good for him to just leave stashed and unused anyway.
I had no plans to work from so I simply made it up as I went along. Luckily for me I didn't have any real disasters along the way and it only took me a couple of days to completely finish.
The main time consumer was deciding what to fill the sides in with. I really could not be doing with making my own trellis from scratch so I borrowed pinched an old room screen that my daughter had - she wasn't using it anyway cos it kept falling apart.
To say I didn't plan a thing here the screen was a perfect fit and finished it off just nice!




Linked up to:
'The Shabby Nest'
'It's a Hodgepodge Life' 
'Finding Fabulous' 
'Twenty eight o five' 
'Sassysites'
'French country cottage'
'Craft Junkie Too'
'Craft envy' 
'Funky Junk Interiors'
'Beyond the picket fence' 
'Stuff and Nonsense' 
'Our DIY Diary'
Post a Comment