Friday 18 May 2012

Scrap wood table lamp

Finally!
I have one project finished. yay!

And here it is



I made a different table lamp a while ago (check it out HERE) and have been itching to make another one. Originally I was going to make one similar to my last one but use square blocks of wood instead of circles but then I cam across this small hunk of naff looking wood

 rustic table lamp, wood lamp, recycled lamp

Maybe some people would have chucked it on the burn pile but I instantly knew what I wanted to use it for even though it had obviously been drenched in creosote at some point in the past.
So I got the orbital sander out and got to work on it, followed by the detail sander.

recycled wood lamp, fabric flowers, handmade, rustic lamp

It didn't actually take too long to sand. In fact I had to stop myself going too far (it's soooo addictive) because I wanted to leave some darker areas so i got different tones with the finished colour.
Next part involved that monstrous looking drill bit!
I found a drill bit that was a tad wider than the lamp wire and long enough to drill through to about 1" from the base of the wood. Once I had that bit drilled I then had to drill an upward angle from the back to meet the drill hole going through the middle, then I threaded the lamp wire through and pulled it out the back.
Here's the pendant sitting on the top.

rustic lamp, handmade wood lamp, fabric flowers, wooden table lamp


Next I gave it 2 coats of Antique Oak wood dye and one coat of clear satin Varnish.
Then came the lampshade. I bought a cheap one from 'B&Q' (I checked the charity shops first but no luck) and blinged it up with the fabric flowers I made.
I am now addicted to making fabric flowers, there are numerous tutorials online so I haven't done one here but be warned - once you start you won't be able to stop.

So there's my new table lamp. Easy to make, cheap to make and that makes it all the more interesting to look at.



Enjoy!


Linkin up to

Joy2Journey
The Southern Institute 
My 1929 Charmer 
Sew can do

4 comments:

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

I love that you made it out of just a piece of wood, yet it looks so great when it was finished! Awesome job and way to think outside the box!!! Hugs,
Bj

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

Thank you too for sharing on Joy2journey's The "Sunday Stop" :)

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

You were featured on my blog today so stop by and grab a button! Stop by again soon and share what you have been up too!!!
Hugs,
Bj

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

That lamp looks so good and matches your tea light holder aswell.