Wednesday 19 September 2012

Tealight holder - simple & easy

I've wantedto make a tealight holder or two for a while now but with so many projects on the go I felt real bad about starting something else. Soon got over the guilt though and tackled the tealight holder - mainly because I wanted to do something that I could finish in a quick time.

Here's the finished holder

tealight holder, wooden tealight holder, scrap wood, scrapwood tealight holder

Pretty cute huh?
So easy to make too. I just found an old lump of wood ( even wood with splits will work because it adds to the character), gave it a good sand down ( a very good sand down because this wood was actually an old fence post) and then I sectioned it off into quarters, found the middle point of each of the four sections and drilled a hole for the tealight.
I used a 40mm Forstner bit for the tealight holes but you could also use a 40mm flat drill bit.
Once that was done I gave it another light sand - including the tealight holes - and then gave it 2 coats of medium Oak wood dye and 1 coat of Satin finish varnish.

Looks lovely all lit up and burns my Yankee candle tealights brilliantly.

My next post will be abother holder I made only this one is upright and looks amazing too.




Linked to these partays

Joy 2 Journey
Funky Junk Interiors 
It's a Hodgepodge Life 
My 1929 charmer 
The Southern Insitute 
I should be mopping the floor 
Under the table and dreaming

2 comments:

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

You have quite the imagination when it comes to wood don't you?! I would never think to do that! Way to think outside the box! :) Thank you for sharing your talent on "The Sunday Stop"!
Hugs,
Bj

One More Time Events said...

I just found you, love the tea light holder! It's funny because my husband just made me one last week he had some left over wood from the raised garden bed he made, a little different. but same idea! great minds think a like :)
Just found your blog now following